Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting DN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Judge tells Dudley man grooming led to sex attacks on vulnerable girl
Updated 4:52pm Monday 30th June 2014 in News
A DUDLEY man has been told his behaviour included elements of grooming which led to sex attacks on vulnerable girl.
Wayne Ault, who also showed sickening pornographic films to another young schoolgirl, carried out a number of sex attacks on his young victim.
At Wolverhampton Crown Court, where Ault was jailed for four-and-a-half-years, Judge Robin Onions told him it was accepted the crimes were an "aberration."
The judge said it was clear there was nothing on his record to "indicate a propensity to commit sexual offences."
Ault, aged 36, of Corporation Street, had denied three charges of sexual assault on a girl aged under 13 and three charges of causing a child to watch a sexual act for the purposes of sexual gratification.
But a five man-seven woman jury, after retiring to consider the evidence for just over two hours at the end of his trial, returned unanimous guilty verdicts on all six charges.
The judge told Ault he had access to pornography and it was something he viewed from time to time but after he had been drinking he caused the one victim to watch the films.
In evidence to the jury Ault had maintained the girl had simply seen the cover of one of his pornographic films but the judge added: "That was blatantly wrong because she was able to describe in considerable detail what was on it."
He said Ault had also taken the opportunity to carry out the sex attacks on his other victim and he went on: "You maintained your denial in the face of the clearest possible evidence."
The judge further barred Ault from ever working with children, ruled he must have no unsupervised contact with a child under 16 and told him he must also register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.
He described the girl who had been sexually touched and kissed by Ault as vulnerable.
Ault had maintained to the jury the girl had been telling lies about the sexual assaults and Simon Hanns, defending, underlined the fact he had no relevant previous convictions.