10:08am Friday 27th April 2012
DUDLEY residents were advised to stay indoors with their doors and windows shut last night, after an unknown liquid leaked down their road.
Firefighters from Dudley Fire Station were called to the incident in Whitehall Drive, off Himley Road, at 6.46pm by the police control room, where they found an unmarked 25 litre barrel spilling the unknown substance.
It is thought about a third of the liquid had leaked out of the drum into the storm water drain.
Firefighters called for back-up from additional crew from Brierley Hill and Tipton, as well as a specialist officer from the West Midlands Fire Service hazardous response team.
Fire crews up righted the barrel, using specialist breathing apparatus, before confirming the liquid was hydrochloric acid Before leaving the scene around 9.20pm, firefighters washed away the liquid and watered down the drain, before the police removed the barrel and notified residents it was safe to leave their homes.
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group