Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting DN NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Sedgley man dies after putting plastic bag over his head
1:20pm Friday 31st August 2012 in News
A 39-YEAR-old Sedgley man suffocated himself with a plastic bag an inquest heard.
Steven Charles Laight, who lived with his parents in Raglan Close, was found asphyxiated in his bedroom on February 29, after police forced entry into his room.
His father, Claude, said the family was still deeply shocked by the death of Steven, a printer who had recently been made redundant by Dudley Council and it “was still a mystery as to why it happened.”
Mr Laight told Dudley Coroner’s Court how his wife had Parkinson’s Disease and he and his son were more like “brothers than father and son” and did most things together, including going out for meals, holidaying together and visiting castles and historic venues around the country.
Mr Laight added: “I had a wonderful relationship with my son and I loved him very much.”
On the day of his death, Mr Laight told the inquest Steven was set to sign on at the job centre the next day and was not looking forward to going, before he went and locked himself in his bedroom.
When Mr Laight failed to get any response from inside the room a few hours later he called the police who found Steven with the bag over his head.
A post mortem revealed he died as a result of asphyxia.
Black Country Coroner, Robin Balmain, said:” This case is perplexing. I am not sure he intended to end his life. I am very sorry this has happened to you.”
He recorded a narrative verdict.
Comments are closed on this article.