HALESOWEN Town said they are investigating an incident which saw one of the team’s fans injured after being hit by a flare during the 2-1 win at Stourbridge on Saturday.

Two flares were set off during the ‘number nine derby’, a blue one after Halesowen’s first goal and a red one following the Stourbridge strike.

West Midlands Police confirmed a woman in her 60s – who was in the away end – suffered bruising to the throat after being hit by a “smoke bomb”, but no arrests have yet been made.

A spokesman for Halesowen Town said the club is working with Stourbridge Football Club, K2 Security and the police to investigate the incident.

A statement issued by Halesowen Town this morning (Monday, October 9) said: “There were incidents during the game at the War Memorial Athletic Ground on Saturday where two flares were thrown onto the pitch after a goal from each team, one blue and one red, one striking a Halesowen Fan.

“The club will be working with Stourbridge Football Club, K2 Security and West Midlands Police.

“The club are investigating the incidents and if Halesowen Town Football Club supporters are identified as being responsible then appropriate steps will be taken.

“If anybody can provide information regarding these incidents please contact the club at davehawley@halesowentown.com “We have been in contact with the injured fan over the weekend and are awaiting her instructions.


During the game, an announcement was made over the loudspeaker that culprits would be removed from the ground.

After the flares were thrown, stewards were seen moving into the stands to segregate fans from both sets of clubs.

A West Midlands Police spokesman said: “We received reports a woman was hit by a smoke bomb at the game between Stourbridge and Halesowen on Saturday afternoon (October 7).

“The woman, aged in her 60s and in the away end, suffered bruising to the throat.

“No arrests have been made and the investigation is ongoing.”

Anyone with information which could assist the police investigation should call 101, quoting crime reference number 20DY/214533L/17.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said paramedics were not called out to the War Memorial Ground.