TWO people had a lucky escape after a camping gas cylinder exploded at a house in Lower Gornal yesterday (Saturday July 26).

The incident happened at around 8pm in The Straits, officers from West Midlands Ambulance Service, firefighters and police all attended the scene.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “Crews were called to reports an explosion in a house. On arrival at the scene medics found the front window of the property lying in the garden after a gas cylinder was reported to have exploded inside of the house. A door within the property was also found to have been blown off its hinges.

“Fortunately the two occupants that had been in the house at the time of the explosion had managed to escape injury. Both men were assessed by ambulance crews at the scene but were found to be uninjured and did not require any further treatment.”

The cylinder is believed to have been in the kitchen of the property when it exploded but neither occupant was in the room at the time.