AN inquest has heard how a stressed bank administrator who died on the tracks at Stourbridge Junction “crumbled” when he received a text and voicemail from work while signed off sick.

Matthew Lyndon, of Chapelfield Mews, Stourbridge, was hit by a train as it was leaving the railway station on the morning of January 16, Black Country Coroner’s Court was told.

The divorced 46-year-old, who worked for HSBC, was seen jumping off the platform as the Kidderminster to Dorridge train pulled away and he was pronounced dead at the scene at 11.25am – assistant coroner Emma Serrano said.

She told the court Mr Lyndon’s partner, Caroline Garrington, said he had recently sought help from BUPA as he had not been sleeping well and he had been prescribed tablets for ADHD.

The court was also told a close relative of Mr Lyndon's was deteriorating due to dementia and that he had not been “coping that well with his work at HSBC” and as a result he had been signed off sick by his GP in mid-December.

Ms Serrano said Mr Lyndon’s partner told how work had “continually called him and asked him for weekly meetings or chats on the phone and this made him stressed and made him cry and be scared of HR”.

She added: “The day before his death there was a text from work and voicemail messages to say calls were going to be made to him on Wednesday and Thursday that week – this is the day that he passed away and the day after.

“He was very distressed about work trying to contact him and he was told by his doctor that they shouldn’t because he wasn’t fit enough to have those calls.”

The coroner said Mr Lyndon’s partner “believes that the work were hassling him and pushed him over the edge as he seemed to be coping better and talked about cooking, shopping etc to his partner until he crumbled with the text and the voicemail”.

She added: “I think further enquiries need to be made into this death.”

“CCTV confirmed it was a deliberate act and British Transport Police classed the incident as non-suspicious", she said - but she added that she would be opening a full inquest into the tragedy.

She told the court: “There are issues surrounding the information British Transport Police have, the driver’s account of the CCTV and their investigation saying there was nothing suspicious, but in addition to that it appears to me that this man had been going to the doctor, he’d been to BUPA and to his GP regarding his stress and also there’s involvement from his work.”

“I would like further enquiries in relation to this to be made.”

She added: “I would like to take this opportunity to express my condolences to his family.”

The inquest was adjourned until March 28.