A DUDLEY man who brutally blasted a man to death with a sawn-off shotgun in broad daylight in a busy residential area has been told he must spend a minimum of 32 years behind bars.

Dwain Smith, a 26-year-old father of one, carried out the vicious killing with three accomplices after they "hunted down" victim Dwaine Haughton.

The 24-year-old was shot through the open window of a parked car in Wolverhampton with the shotgun gang riding in a stolen £25,000 Audi which was later set on fire to destroy any clues to the murder.

Smith and 22-year-old Kurrum Guild were both convicted of murdering Mr Haughton who died despite desperate attempts by doctors to keep him alive.

Montell Gray and Seamus Williams were both found guilty of the manslaughter of Mr Haughton whose savage killing devastated his loving family.

Judge James Burbidge QC described Smith and Guild as "dangerous criminals" and said it was still not clear why Mr Haughton had been shot to death adding: "It is not known if he was your intended victim."

The judge jailed Smith and Guild who was also told he must spend a minimum of 32 years in prison for life with 22-year-old Gray and Williams, 24, both being sentenced to 15 years.

Smith who lived on The Broadway in Dudley before moving in with his girlfriend at her Bilston home and Guild, of Oakthorpe Gardens, Tividale, were also sentenced for a savage attack carried out on a man after the murder.

The judge gave them both 28 years for the murder and told them they must serve an additional four years after they admitted wounding with intent.

Smith, Guild, Gray, of Springhill Road, and 23-year-old Williams of Okement Gardens, both Wolverhampton, had all denied murdering Mr Haughton.

They further denied possessing a firearm and ammunition with intent to endanger life and handling the stolen Audi.

Dudley News:

The Audi used by the gang

Smith, Guild and Williahe Audi used by the gangms further denied setting the vehicle on fire but they were all convicted at the end of their trial.

Guild and Smith both denied the charge of wounding with intent along with 27-year-old Aaron Evans of Adelaide Close, Wolverhampton.

But the two men admitted the offence after the start of their trial. Evans had earlier pleaded guilty and he was jailed for seven years.

Michael Burrowds QC, prosecuting, said the killing of Mr Haughton was planned and premeditated and the four men had driven round in the stolen Audi armed with at least one sawn-off shotgun and ammunition.

Dudley News:

One of the shotguns used by the killers

In a victim impact statement Richard Haughton said the death of his son who he described as a ray of sunshine had shattered the whole family.

He said he was someone who always had a smile on his face, they missed everything about him and they had been wrecked by the murder.

The judge said Mr Haughton had been shot at point blank range with the stolen Audi clearly being used to carry out the terrible crime.