AS the nation mourns the death of Queen Elizabeth II, we take a trip down memory lane and remember her visits to the Dudley borough.

Her Majesty, who passed away yesterday afternoon at the age of 96, visited the borough three times during her 70-year reign.

Her first visit, in April 1957, was part of a tour of Worcestershire and Staffordshire and saw the Queen stop off in Halesowen, Oldbury, Rowley Regis, Dudley, Brierley Hill, Stourbridge, Hagley, Kidderminster and Worcester.

Dudley News: The Queen and Prince Philip in Hagley in April, 1957. Photos courtesy of Mr D FergusonThe Queen and Prince Philip in Hagley in April, 1957. Photos courtesy of Mr D Ferguson (Image: D Ferguson.)

The tour included a visit to the Royal Brierley glassworks in Brierley Hill, a famous open topped drive through Stourbridge’s Mary Stevens Park, lunch at Dudley Town Hall and a visit to Walter Somers Ltd in Halesowen.

Her Majesty and husband Prince Phillip were cheered by thousands of people along the route, while massive crowds gathered to catch a glimpse of the Royal couple in Mary Stevens Park, Norton, Stourbridge, in Priory Street outside Dudley Council House and in Halesowen as the Royal car left the borough.

Dudley News: The Queen and Prince Philip in Stourbridge in 1957The Queen and Prince Philip in Stourbridge in 1957 (Image: Archives)

The couple returned to the area on July 27, 1977, as part of the celebrations to mark the Queen’s Silver Jubilee.

On a visit to the Council House, Dudley, they met the Mayor of Dudley, Councillor Jim Taylor, and other officials while crowds lined the streets.

The visit was part of a nationwide tour of the country, which saw the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh go to 36 counties across Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The Queen returned one final time in June 1994 when she opened the new visitor centre at Dudley Zoo.

Dudley News: The Queen at Dudley Zoo in 1994The Queen at Dudley Zoo in 1994 (Image: Dudley Council)

During the 90-minute visit Her Majesty toured the centre, unveiled a piece of commemorative glass and received a crystal key to the castle as a gift from the borough, before meeting members of the public and listening to a short concert by schoolchildren in the courtyard.