DRAMATIC pictures of the devastation caused by a chip pan fire in Dudley have been released by West Midlands Fire Service.

Firefighters from Dudley and Brierley Hill stations were alerted to the blaze in Brookdale, Lower Gornal, this morning (June 11).

The severe fire in a ground floor kitchen led to two people suffering from smoke inhalation, while three cats also had to be rescued.

The fire crews wearing breathing apparatus were able to tame the flames, while West Midlands Ambulance Service were on hand to give the occupiers precautionary checks.

Brierley Hill Fire Station (@FireBrierley) tweeted how shutting the kitchen door proved vital in the fire not spreading to the rest of the property: “Severe kitchen fire lower Gornal picture shows the importance of closing interior doors. @WMFSDudley @WestMidsFire”