A WOMAN who suffered a cardiac arrest in the street and was clinically dead for up to eight minutes has told how she’s “eternally grateful" to the police officer who performed CPR and brought her back to life.

Laura Green suddenly collapsed on the pavement while on an errand to the shops in Bilson Street, Sedgley, on February 26.

Luckily PCSO Garry Marson of West Midlands Police, who was conducting neighbourhood patrols nearby, rushed to help after being alerted by a passing motorist.

He found the 33-year-old unconscious, not breathing and without a pulse.  Realising an ambulance could be several minutes away − 61-year-old Garry began performing CPR.

Through chest compressions and resuscitation he managed to revive the mum-of-two before paramedics arrived to take over and convey her to hospital.

Laura spent time in critical care in hospital but, after having a defibrillator implant fitted, is recovering well at home.

She said: “I can’t recall anything from that morning, or the previous weekend, but my dad has told how a lady placed a blanket over me before Garry came running over.

“He saved my life; he is first aid trained and knew exactly what to do. Thanks to him I’m able to see my two daughters again… and for that I’ll be eternally grateful.

“Garry came to see me in the hospital. I told him I’d most likely be dead if it wasn’t for him and thanked him for coming to help me. He’s a very modest man but we all think he’s a hero.”

Laura and her sister Gemma said a heartfelt thanks to West Bromwich Albion fan Garry − who has worked with West Midlands Police for 10 years − by presenting him with a Baggies shirt and football at The Hawthorns signed by the first team players.

He said of his life-saving efforts that all officers are taught CPR and receive annual first aid refreshers but he’d never been called to put it into practice before.

He added: “I was working on Laura for no more than a couple of minutes before paramedics arrived and ‘shocked’ her.

“One of them told me they’d got her back; it’s all I wanted to hear. After, we went to the school Laura’s daughters attend to alert the headteacher.

“The emotion of it all caught up with me later.

“At the time you’re focussed on what’s happening and the adrenaline takes over − but later the magnitude of what’s happened, that you’ve helped keep someone alive, sinks in.

“I’m so pleased Laura is well on the mend and that I was able to play a part.

“But as any police officer will tell you…I was just doing my job."