DUDLEY Kingswinford's head coach Shaun Perry has praised the squad players that stepped up during last weekend's defeat to Caldy.

Perry, who only has a small group to work with after losing a number of players in the summer, is determined to take as many positives as he can from what has been a winless season.

He praised the effort of the players that stepped in to perform admirably in Saturday's 66-15 away defeat.

"There was a massive positive to take from the game. The big thing was how squad players came forward and did well at that level," he said.

"I only took 18 players to Cadly, so it was nice to know that people who have not had much game time are capable and willing to step up the way they did."

DK visited the Wirral showing further changes in their ranks. Rhodri Williams came in at fullback to replace Ben Brown, who has temporarily left the club to go travelling in Australia, and Josh Morrisey was drafted into the front row.

The large score in favour of the home side was not a true reflection of the game asDK enjoyed equal amounts of territory and possession. The difference being the quality of the powerful finishing of the Caldy 15.

In the first five minutes, DK exerted good pressure and, following a penalty for crossing, Gareth Bown found touch deep in the Caldy 22.

A good lineout was secured and the maul was driven forward only for the ball to be knocked on just short of the Caldy line. The home side defended their line well and in the sixth minute were awarded a penalty, which they took quickly and brushed aside some poor DK tackling.

Undeterred DK came storming back and in the ninth minute were awarded a penalty for Caldy being off side at a maul. Gareth Bown successfully converted once more.

From the restart it was the home team who pressurised the Dudley defence and within two minutes centre Gavin Roberts crossed for a well deserved try.

Play continued to ebb and flow and DK were unlucky not to add to their score when Gareth Bown hit the upright with a penalty attempt.

There then followed an entertaining passage of play by both teams, but it was Caldy who once again showed their superior finishing qualities.

In the final eight minutes of the half Caldy managed to put daylight between the sides when fly half Richard Vassey, supporting well following a sweeping movement, crossed for a try which he duly converted.

Within six minutes of the second half the home team raced into a 38 - 10 lead with two quick tries.

Dudley responded with their second try following an excellent passage of play when Tony Jordan to score in the corner. The last ten minutes saw the home team cross for a further three tries.

After the game, Perry, who has applied for the vacant director of rugby role at the club, said: "We had some really good spells in the game and really stuck to our task despite giving away a couple of silly tries.

"We also scored two tried ourselves, out first since Harrogate. It has been a hard season but we want to keep building blocks for the future."