RAIN and heavy conditions made open running rugby unlikely for Stourbridge in their national league fixture away against Huddersfield.

The hosts dominated the first quarter of the game while Stour conceded territory and penalties and only good defensive work from Nigel Mukarati and debutante Callum Bowden kept the scoresheet blank.

The turning point came when Stourbridge gained numerical advantage after Huddersfield's open side flanker Lewis Bradley was yellow carded.

On 29 minutes, and against the run of play, Stourbridge capitalised with a push over try for Sam Pailor and Chris Scott added the extras.

Huddersfield responded with intelligent kicking to put the ball behind Stourbridge's defence, forcing players to turn and chase backwards.

Josh Trinham made one excellent try saving cover tackle but with 40 minutes on the clock, the home pressure was too much and the visitors conceded a penalty.

The hosts opted to kick for goal and Harry Davey slotted home to make the half time score 3-7.

Stour were next to score, seven minutes into he second half in a carbon copy of their first half try.

Huddersfield were again down to 14 men after prop Callum Thompson was sin binned for collapsing the scrum and once again Pailor powered over for a try which Scott converted.

Davey answered for Huddersfield with a drop goal and Stour helped the host cause with sloppy clearance kicking from their own half.

Stour are making a habit of turning defence into attack this season and on the hour Llyr Griffiths stole the ball from a five metre lineout which set up a charge from halfway for Joe Heatley, Josh Trinham and Dan Rundle.

After the Jack Lea was held up at the end of the move and Pailor completed his hat-trick from the scrum, Scott added the extras.

The bonus point try came in the final minutes when Nick Murphy took advantage of a Huddersfield lineout mix-up to take possession.

The ball found its way to the speedy Dan Rundle who out paced and out manoeuvred several defenders from some 20 metres out to score his third try in two games.

Huddersfield were quick to capitalise with a tap penalty after a Stourbridge high tackle and Nick Sharpe took full advantage for a try which Davey converted to make the final score Huddersfield 13-26 Stourbridge.

Stourbridge have injury worries with Chris Scott (arm) Ben Tibbetts (ankle), Chad Thorne (leg) and Sam Pailor (leg) ahead of Saturday's clash with Leicester Lions at Stourton Park.