THE Glassboys suffered a shattering blow to their title hopes when they let slip a late lead as second-placed Kettering snatched a dramatic last-gasp winner to go top of the table.

In what proved a highly charged table-topping clash, Stourbridge appeared to be heading for victory by grabbing a 73rd minute lead when Greg Mills delivered a tremendous run and cross from the left which was turned home at the far post by Leon Broadhust with Kettering goalkeeper Paul White left stranded.

But the Glassboys joy was short-lived as Kettering - urged on by their huge army of supporters, - hit back to level on 84 minutes when Marcus Kelly latched onto a loose pass from Stourbridge substitute Brad Birch and sent Bret Solkhon racing clear who then cracked home a well angled drive beyond the reach of Glassboys goalkeeper James Wren.

But there was still late drama to come as Kettering were awarded a free kick deep into stoppage time.

New signing from Cambridge United, 19 -year-old Tom Knowles stepped up and crowned an unforgettable debut by curling the free kick directly into the net.

It was a stunning finish with referee Jon Kenny calling time just 10 seconds after the restart.

In what had proved a pulsating contest, Kettering had come closest to breaking the deadlock in the first half when striker Dan Holman hammered a shot against the Stourbridge crossbar on 18 minutes.

The ball rebounded back out, but was only half cleared into the path of Aaron O'Connor who fired a follow up attempt into the side-netting.

Stourbridge went went close when Luke Benbow released Callum Powell down the right, who crossed along the face of Kettering's goal, but the advancing Leon Broadhurst couldn't quite connect.

Benbow then had the ball in Kettering's net two minutes before half time, but his goal was ruled out for an alleged foul on goalkeeper White.

Stourbridge boss Gary Hackett said afterwards: "We weren't at our best, but when we went 1-0 up, Kettering looked vulnerable for the first time. Unfortunately, we didn't see the game out. We got caught out with too many misplaced square balls, one of which led to their first goal.

"I'm bitterly disappointed."

Final score: Stourbridge 1-2 Kettering Town

Stourbridge: Wren; Westlake, McCone, Pierpoint, Brown; Forde, Broadhurst, Powell ( Anderson 58), Thompson-Brown ( Birch 67), Mills (Yafai 90), Benbow. Subs not used: Christophorou, Maher.

Attendance 1, 734