THE Beacon Sunday League spotlight was firmly on the second tier this week as runaway leaders CTS United extended their 100 percent record to an impressive nine straight wins.

On a day when some of the chasing pack slipped up, CTS marched on with a hard fought 2-1 away triumph at neighbouring Dudley Rangers United, writes Dave McLean.

After Sam Stokes made certain from the penalty spot to give CTS a crucial interval lead, Luke Bates made it 2-0 in the second period.

Dudley, who had only lost one league game previously this season in six starts, cut the deficit but they were unable to find an equaliser and CTS extended the gap at the top to 11 points.

They did so after second place AFC Sporting Gornal and third spot Essington AFC let slip vital points.

The former crashed 5-2 at home to FC Premier 2014 who ran out worthy winners after hitting four first half goals.

Premier made it a nap hand in the second half, while Sporting only managed two in reply. On target for Premier were Ugo Iroegbunam, Jermelle Banner (both two) and Dan Meredith. Replying were Cory Massey and Owen Harris with a penalty.

Third place Essington AFC were also held as lowly hosts Health Direct stormed back three times to share six goals.

Giving Essington an advantage on three occasions were the trio of Curtis Tonks, Lee Hickingbottom and Brett Morris.

Nathaniel James notched a double in reply, his second the all important third Health Direct equaliser with another stunning long range free kick. Kurtis Hutchinson also played a key role by rounding off the scoring for the home side.

While some were missing out, Wyrley Athletico and Sedgley Rangers moved into second and third places respectively with wins over Coseley FC (4-0) and Gornal Rangers (4-2).

Wyrley, who have two games in hand on leaders CTS, made it five league victories in seven as they saw off the challenge of visiting Coseley FC 4-0, goals from Liam Beech, Corey Crutchley, Reece Wall (penalty) and Alex Stokes.

Sedgley came from behind at half time to sink local rivals Gornal Rangers 4-2. Joe Waterfield (two), Jay Jill and Connor Hoban were on target for Sedgley with Ryan James and Arnold Agbor-Ebot responding.

There was a third league win of the season for Cannock United as Conor Bacon sizzled with a superb four goal return to help sink battling Penn Rovers 6-4.

After trailing 2-0, Penn bounced back to level the scores and then move ahead 3-2 early in the second period.

But it was not to be for Rovers as they conceded four further goals and the points. Charlie Saunders supported man of the match Bacon with a double, the replies from Macky Miller (two), James Craig and Lee Evans.

There was just one fixture in the Concentric Property Beacon Championship top flight and Shere Punjab Wolves struck back from a two goal deficit to hit hosts Beacon Lions 6-2.

Inflicting the damage were Gagandeep Kullar (two), Rizwan Akhtar, Karzan Great, Avi Atwal and an own goal. Reece Dabbs and Wayne Brown had given the Lions the early advantage.

In the Roger Brindley 030s Cup qualifiers, Springvale Vets made it two wins in three with a 2-0 success over East Park, efforts from Ben Wilkins and Andrew Tierman.