WORCESTER Warriors were left kicking themselves as a late Mark Jennings try secured 14-man Sale Sharks victory at Sixways.

Byron McGuigan was sent off with 13 minutes to go after receiving a second yellow card while Faf de Klerk was also sin-binned.

But Warriors, who spent more than half an hour with an extra man, failed to make numerical advantage count against a resolute Sharks side who snatched the win in the final 10 minutes.

After back-to-back wins over Northampton Saints and Leicester Tigers, Warriors aimed to put more breathing space between themselves and London Irish.

But they were quickly put under pressure by Sharks as McGuigan darted down the left before being shoved into touch by Chris Pennell.

After spending 10 minutes camped inside Worcester’s 22, Sale secured a penalty in front of the posts which AJ MacGinty dispatched.

Worcester thought they had survived the early onslaught but disaster struck on 15 minutes when loose pass from Alafoti Fa’osiliva was gobbled up by McGuigan with Rohan Janse Van Rensburg touching down in the corner. MacGinty missed the conversion.

Worcester were struggling to get going in the opening stages as their usually flowing attacking moves failed to click before they got on the board on 26 minutes with a penalty from Pennell.

The match then appeared to turn in Warriors’ favour as McGuigan was sin-binned for a deliberate knock-on and Worcester struck almost immediately.

James O’Connor misjudged Pennell’s grubber kick and the ball popped up for Josh Adams to gather and go over.

Pennell pushed the touchline conversion wide and Sale had the final say in the half.

The visitors forced back Worcester to earn a penalty which MacGinty slotted home to give his side a 11-8 advantage at half-time.

Warriors managed to turn the tide as Sam Lewis went on the charge after Denton gathered a loose ball before Adams made a weaving run. And Sale were back down to 14 men as de Klerk was yellow carded for a deliberate knock-on after Warriors got within a few metres of the try-line.

Sensing their moment to strike, Worcester put together a number of phases but Sale were holding firm.

Adams was presented with a great chance to send Bryce Heem clean through but the Welshman failed to find his teammate.

With Sale proving a tough nut to crack, Worcester had to take the points when they were on offer and Pennell levelled the scores with a penalty on 62 minutes.

The visitors had done brilliantly to keep out their opponents with 14 men but moments after de Klerk returned, McGuigan was sent off for a tip-tackle on Heem.

Pennell showed nerves of steel to land the penalty as Worcester took a 14-11 lead with 13 minutes left but Sale responded immediately as Bryn Evans fed replacement Jennings who went over in the corner.

MacGinty added the extras from out wide to edge ahead as Warriors were left to settle with a losing bonus point.