THE son of a former city magistrate has appeared in court charged with two sexual assaults.

Mohammed Haque of Friesland Close, Worcester, denied two sexual assaults when he appeared before judge Robert Juckes QC at Worcester Crown Court on Thursday.

The 32-year-old is the son of restaurant owner, former city councillor and magistrate Nurul Haque.

He denied sexual assault against an adult woman on October 15, 2017 and against another female adult woman on December 7, 2017.

The trial date was set for December 4 this year. The time estimate for the trial was given as three days.

Fiona Robertson, defending Haque, said there may be an error in the dates on the indictment and indicated the alleged assaults were in fact two years apart.

The court was told this will be investigated and the indictment amended in due course if it was established there had been a mistake.

Haque, who is sometimes known as Sam Haque, was given unconditional bail.